- The pastry
- The filling
- 450 g/1lb prepared weight pumpkin flesh, cut into 1in/2.5 cm chunks
- 2 large eggs plus 1 yolk (use the white for another dish)
- 3 oz/75g soft dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ level teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 10 fl oz/275 ml double cream
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Use a shop bought sweet crust pastry case, about 9 inch/23 cm diameter and 1½ inches/4 cm deep.
- To make the filling, steam the pumpkin then place in a coarse sieve and press lightly to extract any excess water.
- Then lightly whisk the eggs and extra yolk together in a large bowl.
- Place the sugar, spices and the cream in a pan, bring to simmering point, giving it a whisk to mix everything together. Then pour it over the eggs and whisk it again briefly.
- Now add the pumpkin pureé, still whisking to combine everything thoroughly.
- Pour the filling into your pastry case and bake for 35-40 minutes, by which time it will puff up round the edges but still feel slightly wobbly in the centre.
- Remove the pie from the oven and place the tin on a wire cooling rack. Serve chilled (stored loosely covered in foil in the fridge) with some equally chilled créme fraïche, but warm or at room temperature would be fine.
FOR THE LITTLE ONE:
Pumpkin Pie Playdough
5 1/2 cups flour
8 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 1/2 ounces pumpkin pie spice
2 cups salt
3/4 cups oil
4 cups water
orange food coloring (2 parts yellow to 1 part red or orange gel coloring)
- Mix all ingredients together in a heavy bottomed sauce pan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until dough forms. The mixture becomes very thick so a big wooden spoon works well for stirring.
- When a ball begins to form, transfer dough to a floured surface. Knead the dough until it is smooth.
- When dough is cool store in an air tight container.